Working Out-In, Toni Miles
Everyone wants to speed up his or her metabolism and burn fat throughout the day. According to Janet Walberg-Rankin, PhD, Associate Professor, Exercise Physiology, Virginia Institute of Technology, “you can lose a pound of fat a week just by ratcheting up your activity level a notch or two.”
One way this can be accomplished is through strength training. It decreases fat and restores muscles. It should be done at least 2 – 3 times per week. In doing these exercises, always breathe out doing the exertion phase of the exercise, never hold your breath.
Listed below are some exercises you can do anywhere, anytime:
- While standing, shift your weight to one leg. Slowly bend and raise the opposite knee. Switch legs and repeat.
- Slowly shrug your shoulders, tighten the muscles. Then drop your shoulders relaxing them completely.
- While sitting, tighten muscles and slowly extend your leg. Slowly return to the starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Stand up and stretch during commercials. Reach towards the ceiling, tighten your abdominal muscles. Take a deep breath in, hold for 1-2 seconds release and repeat.
- Sitting with your arms at your sides, tighten your shoulder muscles and slowly raise both arms, keeping them straight. Bring your hands up to shoulder height, and then slowly lower them again.
- While sitting, flex your rear end (glutes) and tighten your stomach muscles (abdomen). Remember to breathe.
- Slowly open and close one hand. Tighten your hand and forearm muscles. Repeat with the other hand.
- While sitting at your desk, waiting at a stop light, or stuck in traffic, do some bicep curls (close your hands, flex your arms, ensuring your arms are close to your sides) lift and lower your arms at the elbow.
Repeat each of these exercises throughout the day, every day. Your muscles will be strengthened and your increased metabolism will burn fat. It may not have felt like a work out, butt you will notice the difference within a couple of weeks.
A word to the wise – to prevent boredom, try to motivate yourself by switching your exercise routine.
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.